I am a software engineer specializing in:
- Data processing and presentation using relational databases and Splunk.
- Voice User Interface (VUI) development using Amazon Alexa.
- Internet of Things hardware and firmware development using Raspberry Pi, Arduino, and derivatives.
- Automation of tasks using shell scripts, Ansible, Python, and GruntJS.
- Web application development and responsive design using Django, ReactJS, and Bootstrap.
- AWS DynamoDB
- AWS Redshift
- JetBrains IDEs
- Vim, Atom, and Visual Studio Code editors
- AWS EC2, Lambda, IoT, and more
- Ansible, CloudFormation, Terraform
- Flask and Django
- Twitter Bootstrap
- GraphQL and GraphCMS
- OpenLayers, Leaflet, Google Maps API
- Google Charts API
- jQuery UI and Mobile
- Configuration of GitHub, GitLab, BitBucket, and AWS CodeCommit remotes
- Continuous Integration/Delivery using Travis, BitBucket Pipelines, GitLab CI, and AWS CodeBuild
Certifications and Awards
- Splunk Certified Architect (Version 6.x)
- Applied Data Science with Python, University of Michigan via Coursera
- Splunk Boss of the SOC 2018 - competed with a four-man team, placed 31st out of 255 teams
Arizona State University
Business Intelligence Developer, November 2017 to Present
Student Worker, later Management Intern, August 2015 to November 2017
- Helped launch ASU's Amazon Alexa projects; now contributes to multiple voice projects including the official ASU skill, a marketing skill designed for the Echo Show, and multiple skills used in live talks by the Deputy CIO.
- Serves as a technical lead for the voice UI team, guilding decisions about implementation including which tools, language, and frameworks to use.
- Helped port the codebase of the original ASU Alexa Skill from the original Python framework to the new NodeJS one.
- Assists in administering, maintaining, enhancing, and troubleshooting ASU's high-volume Splunk Enterprise environment.
- Writes and maintains Python scripts and Splunk inputs to gather data useful to the University, some of which have been made publicly available.
- Writes and maintains Splunk Dashboards and Alerts to visualize and present important data.
- Develops hardware, firmware, and backend services for Internet of Things devices.
- Helps to develop Ansible playbooks to launch and maintain Splunk infrastructure, including a Splunk cluster running in Amazon EC2.
- Deployed and supported a QEMU-KVM server, allowing users to run remote virtual machines for software testing.
- Helps to supervise student employees and mentor them in Splunk, Linux, and Python skills.
- Interacts with vendors, local usergroups, and the Splunk and Alexa communities at large to exchange ideas and guidance.
- Engages in proofs of concept and information gathering for new technologies to be explored by the University upon request.
Mars Space Flight Facility
System Administration Student Worker, March 2013 - August 2015
- Served as a junior system administrator and developer for a NASA-funded research group housed at Arizona State University.
- Contributed Java code to ASU's JMARS open source project, including new data layers and a refactor of all network access features.
- Built a web application to catalog and search mineral spectrographs collected by the Facility. [CoffeeScript, LESS, Twitter Bootstrap, PHP/MySQL, and GruntJS]
- Performed miscellaneous tasks to aid system administration and development teams upon request.
BluBox Custom PC
August 2014 - July 2015
- Operated a small business selling custom-built computers.
- Performed troubleshooting and hardware and software support.
- Handled all paperwork necessary for taxes and foundation of LLC.
- Created business website using NodeJS.
Open Source Contributions
- Splunk SDK for Python
- ASU JMARS
- Homebrew Cask
Arizona State University (Tempe, AZ) - Class of 2018
Bachelor of Science, Geoinformatics
- Through multiple changes in study plan, gained exposure to several disciplines including computer science, industrial engineering, and GIS.
- Courses in databases, GIS, software-as-a-service, web design, and software development processes.
- Completed an individual GIS project to analyze the map found in the game Fortnite: Battle Royale.
- Completed a team project analyzing the number of classes scheduled per building on ASU's Tempe Campus.
- Completed a team capstone project using ASP.NET MVC and Microsoft Azure.
Skyline High School (Mesa, AZ) - Class of 2012
- Advanced courses in mathematics, computer science, and physics.
- Participated in the concert and marching bands.